George Francis Bason Jr.
George F. Bason, Jr., Of Counsel to Press, Dozier & Hamelburg, has focused since 1972 in bankruptcy law, including creditors’ rights and reorganizations. He has spent more than 40 years in private law practice. He also taught for six years as a Professor of Law at The American University Law School, where he won awards for outstanding service to the law school, legal aid and clinical legal education. He was a founder and first Chairman of the Board of the D.C. Law Students in Court program. From 1984 to 1988, he served as United States Bankruptcy Judge for the District of Columbia, where he presided over such major cases as United Press International, Auto-Train Corporation and Inslaw, Inc.
Judge Bason has written and lectured extensively about Bankruptcy Law and other topics.
In addition to hundreds of judicial opinions, including more than 70 opinions published in the prestigious West's Bankruptcy Reporter, he was author of the 1984 and 1991 editions of the four volume set, Debtor and Creditor Relations: Bankruptcy, in West's Legal Forms 2d., as well as the 1991-1999 editions of "Bankruptcy Highlights" in West's Bankruptcy Code, Rules and Forms. Judge Bason was also co-author of Volumes 2 and 10 of the 1975 revision of Collier on Bankruptcy (known as the "Bankruptcy Bible").
He graduated with honors in 1956 from Harvard Law School and is a member of the American Bar Association.
- North Carolina, 1956
- District of Columbia, 1958
- Maryland, 1989
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1961
- U.S. Federal Courts, 1956
- Harvard University Law School, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- J.D. cum laude - 1956
- Honors: Senior Director, Harvard Legal Aid Bureau, 1955-1956
- Davidson College, Davidson, North Carolina
- A.B. cum laude - 1953
- Honors: Salutatorian; with Honors in English Constitutional History; Phi Beta Kappa
- Debtor and Creditor Relations: Bankruptcy and Non-Bankruptcy, West's Legal Forms Second, Vols. 9, 10 & 11, 1984
- Debtor and Creditor Relations: Bankruptcy and Non-Bankruptcy, West's Legal Forms Second, Vols. 9 & 9A, Revised 2d Edition, 1991
- Debtor and Creditor Relations: Bankruptcy and Non-Bankruptcy, West's Legal Forms Second, Pocket Parts, 1992
- Bankruptcy Highlights, West's Bankruptcy Code, Rules and Forms, 1991-1999
- Collier on Bankruptcy, (Co-Author), Matthew Bender, Revision to 14th Edition, 1975
Professional Associations & Memberships
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina State Bar Association
- DC Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
"Toyota Motor Credit Corporation expects only the highest level of professionalism and integrity from the attorneys who represent it throughout the United States. In their representation of TMCC in the Bankruptcy Courts of Maryland and the District of Columbia, George Bason and Fred Press have earned TMCC's confidence and repeatedly demonstrated their competence and creativity in protecting TMCC's interests and concerns."
- Cheryl Nishimura, Asset Protection Department, Toyota Motor Credit Corporation